The Niederzwönitz Paper Mill is representative for paper production as a supply trade to mining from the 16th to the 19th century. The Niederzwönitz Paper Mill produced laid paper from 1568 to 1873, which was often used by the mining authorities. It is the Ore Mountains’ best originally preserved paper manufacturing plant, and is representative of the development and spread of the paper-making trade in context with the expansion of the mining administration. The paper mill was converted into a cardboard factory in 1850 and with its still functional historic stock of machinery it represents the history of the development of the paper and cardboard production of a small-scale company. The cultural monument is one of the best preserved paper mills and cardboard factories in Germany.