The Frohnau mining landscape is an extensive mining area characterised by a large number of historic open cast and underground mining sites. These include the large waste heap landscape with small heaps from the 15th to 17th centuries following the ore lodes, the larger waste heaps of the main shafts from the 18th century as well as the major waste heaps attributed to uranium ore mining in the mid-20th century. The heaps differ both in their appearance and nature of the deposited material and vegetation growth. Mining ceased at the end of the 19th century, but resumed in 1946 in connection with uranium ore mining in the Markus Röhling mining concession. These efforts, however, did not result in the extraction of any significant amounts of uranium ore. The surface mine buildings originally belonging to the shafts are not preserved, with the exceptions of the Malwine mine area and the Markus Röhling mine.