Alte Hoffnung Gottes Erbstolln mine was one of the most important, and since 1741/42 always privately owned, mines in the district. In the second half of the 18th century the Einigkeiter Kunstund Treibeschacht (pump and hoisting shaft) became the main shaft of the mine. Reaching a depth of 531 m, this shaft was for a long time the deepest in the Freiberg mining area, and is distinguished today by its large, tall waste heap. After the late 19th century it continued to operate as the Freiberg area’s only mine until it was finally shut down in 1939.
Several buildings of the mine are preserved and the heaps document the locations of shafts. While the shaft’s mine water pumping system (Kunstgezeuge) was initially operated using a field rod engine spanning the distance to the Mulde River, two pumping wheels (Kunsträder) were later built in the shaft to help with water drainage. The preserved hoisting house, the oldest water-driven gin hoisting house in the Freiberg mining area, is part of this conveying installation. The shaft’s surface buildings have also been largely preserved in their original condition. They document the water-driven gin’s original use, as well as the switch to the steam gin (1878). Preserved are also the administration and assembly building, the mine forge and the powder house of the mine that dates to the 18th century.